Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Five Meals from One Turkey

My guys aren't a big fan of turkey. They prefer ham every time, so I don't buy turkey. However, my guys DO like tacos, dumplings, pot pies, pasta, and wraps. 

And so, today, my thrifty heart rejoiced, because as I was completing my Thanksgiving food shopping, I saw a sign that read, "Riverside Turkeys: 27 cents a pound with any $20 purchase". SCORE! Sadly, I don't have a deep freezer and my freezer is small, so a nearly-11-pound turkey was the biggest I felt comfortable purchasing. 


And my cost:

Yes, that is $2.92!!! Oh, happy day. That's 58 cents per meal for a generous serving of lean protein!

So here are my plans for this beauty, which I will thaw in the refrigerator and simply roast in a bag like this link explains (minus the glaze or butter part). After I prepare it, I will debone and make broth, the same way I do with my rotisserie chicken preparation

I will likely keep enough meat for the first 3 meals in the refrigerator, and freeze, in 2 portions, the rest of the turkey meat for the last 2 meals the next week. Turkey stock will freeze beautifully, too and can be used in any recipe calling for chicken broth.

Meal 1:  Turkey Tacos

Meal 2: Turkey and Dumplings (using turkey broth)

Meal 3: Turkey BLT Wraps

Meal 4: Turkey Pot Pie (using turkey broth)

Meal 5: Turkey Spaghetti (just like white chicken spaghetti but made with turkey)

I will come back and update with recipes next week. If you have any great sales on turkeys in your area right now, grab one! There is so much more you can do with turkey rather than just serve it with dressing.  Happy Thanksgiving, all, and I hope you have a warm and wonderful holiday.

2 comments:

  1. I have my turkey in the refrigerator, thawing now. Will update on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete