Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Baby Boy Edition: No-Cost Upcycled Thanksgiving Shirt

I definitely couldn't leave our 2 year-old out of the cute holiday crafting. He needed a shirt, too.

I had a blank burgundy shirt and knew it would be perfect. I had seen this adorable shirt on Amazon and it was my inspiration for this project.

First, I found my son's thanksgiving onesie from his first one and cut the bottom off. Isn't it sweet?

I then made a pattern from my hand by tracing it onto construction paper (I shortened the fingers a bit, since I felt it was a bit too big.) 

Next, I pinned the pattern to the onesie bottom and cut out my shape. Just like kindergarten!

I measured a center point and pinned my design to the shirt.

Using an overcast stitch, I stitched it to my shirt. It was quite tedious, hand-sewing around all the curves, but I finally got it done.

I found an old elastic bracelet in my jewelry that had beads on it. I sewed one on the thumb, representing an eye. A button would be cute too. I then cut a wattle out of an old red tshirt and sewed it on as well. I left most of it unsewn so it could hang freely.

Last, I stitched on some legs. This is not a great job, but this is only my second appliqué, so I'm hoping I get better. I used 4 strands of brown embroidery floss for these, and a split stitch

And the finished design:

Here are my babies' Thanksgiving outfits, all ready to go. Total Cost: $0!


No comments:

Post a Comment