Subscribe in a reader

Monday, November 11, 2013

Another Version of the Turkey Hair Clip

Last week I posted my completely upcycled turkey hair clip. I am practicing, so tried my hand at another version. This version uses an old scrap of fabric and thread and I think it was even easier!

I really like this version. You can trim the fabric and curve it more, to your tastes, or even double up different layers. This would make a cute pin on a shirt or even a pendant or decoration on a scarf. If you replaced the felt on the face for fabric or embroidery, I think this would even hold up well in the wash for an appliqué. Plus, it's a very imprecise process, which I love!

I followed all of the same steps in my original version, and I think the eyes came out better this time. Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of embroidery! I removed the fuzz from the felt nose, later.

When I got to his tail, I cut out a strip of fabric from an outgrown onesie. The more uneven, the better!

I sewed a basic running stitch along the bottom, with no need at all for precision, and no knots tied on either end. This will not show.

Leave a long string on each side and pull the strings together and tie a double knot. Trim the strings. Now I had this in front:

And this in the back:

I cut out some leftover felt and slid my clip in, just like I did in the original version.

Next, I found another letter in my scrapbook collection and affixed it to my turkey with fabric glue, with another of my nieces in mind. I then glued the turkey to the front. Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment