Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Two Thrifty Thursday Recipes: BBQ Chicken and Chicken and Biscuits

I love when I can cook 2 meals in one night. With 2 babies, it is a real time-saver. When those meals are also less than $2 a serving, it just warms my thrifty heart. 

I found a package of boneless chicken breasts for less than $2 per pound. It was 3.52 lbs for around $6. Now, I'm not really a big fan of chicken breast—I don't think it has as much flavor as the rest of the chicken—but it was a good price, and I knew I could get 2 meals out of that one package.

First, I seasoned the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and baked at 375° for 45 minutes. 

For the meal that would be eaten that night, I sliced 2 and 3/4 of the chicken breasts thinly and  placed back in the pan with its original juices and covered it in barbecue sauce. It was served with a salad, thick, crusty garlic bread, and macaroni and cheese.

That same night, I took the 1 chicken breast left and 1/4 of another and chopped it into a fine dice and put it in a baking dish.

To it, I added cream of chicken soup and  3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper, chopped dried onion and garlic powder. I am not one for measuring, so I'd say maybe a tablespoon of the onion and 2 teaspoons of the garlic powder. 

Next, I added about a cup and a half of frozen hash brown potatoes and some green beans. I just used the veggies I had on hand. 

I mixed it all together and placed it in the refrigerator with foil over the top for another day. On the day we ate it, I added canned biscuits on top and baked at 400° for 30 minutes. 

Here was the price break down for both meals:

1 package of 4 chicken breasts (3.52 lbs.) : $6.20
1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce: 44 cents
French bread: $1.50
Macaroni and cheese: 60 cents
Salad: estimating $1.25
Cream of chicken soup: 75 cents
1/4 bag hash browns: 50 cents
Green beans: 45 cents
Biscuits: 88 cents
Spices: estimating $1

Total for 2 meals that feed 4: $13.57 = $6.79 per meal, less than $2 per serving!


No comments:

Post a Comment