Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Upcycled Halloween Wreath

Weeks ago, I saw a really cute Christmas rag wreath on a Facebook page and thought it looked pretty simple to make. I really like the idea of using wire coat hangers as a base, instead of spending money on wreath forms that just get covered up. 


I don't have pictures of the process for my Halloween wreath, because this blog did not exist yet, but it's really easy, I promise! 

First, I shaped a wire coat hanger into a circle. I just used my hands and it was fine, but if you don't have a pliable hanger, you may need pliers. 

I found 2 outgrown shirts in black and orange and cut 1-inch wide strips (a TON of them). Next, I tied all of the strips onto my wreath, in a double knot, alternating colors. The more you add, the fuller the wreath. I fanned them all out when I was done.

Now, you can just decorate it as you'd like. I happened to have some foam board and cut out shapes for candy corn and a piece of candy (using gold ribbon as the "wrapper"). I had an old dollar store Halloween sign and I hot glued it to the inside of my wreath. 

I covered the hanger part in black fabric and used it to hang my wreath on the door. 

And that's it—a pretty Halloween wreath for no money at all. You could easily make any-occasion wreath using this method and different decorations, of course. Upcycling is so rewarding!


No comments:

Post a Comment