Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

3-Day Meal Plan 1: Rotisserie Chicken

One night, I bought a cooked rotisserie chicken at my grocery store. I served it with a nice salad and a couple of sides. But then I had leftovers...which would change my cooking life. I realized how many things you can do with a cooked rotisserie chicken! 


Now I buy these little beauties with the sole intent of getting 3 meals out of one chicken! I will post my 3-day plans in a series of posts over the coming weeks.

First, the preparation. 
De bone and shred or chop up the meat. Make sure to reserve the carcass. Add the carcass to a large stockpot. Throw in a quartered onion, 2 whole garlic heads, cut in half, 3 tsp. thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. If I have carrots and celery, I add those too. I also like to add a chicken bouillon cube or the powder if I have it. Cover with water and boil for one hour.  Strain the liquid, let cool, then refrigerate. The fat will rise to the top once cold and you can just spoon it off.

Now that the prep work is done, here is plan 1 of my tried-and-true 3-meal plan favorites:

Day 1: Soft Chicken Tacos
Place 3/4 of the meat into a saucepan. Add taco seasoning, water, and 3 tbsp. salsa. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve in flour tortillas (I brown mine in a hot skillet, first). If you really want to stretch this, add rice and/or beans to the pot. Delicious in tacos!

Day 2: Chicken Barbecue Pizza
Make your favorite pizza dough, or buy the pre-made kind, or the ones in the can, by the biscuits. I have even used flour tortillas, in a pinch! Spread barbecue sauce over the crust, top with the remaining 1/4 of the chicken meat, add any toppings you like (red onion, spinach leaves, etc) and top with cheese. We like cheddar on this type of pizza but any will do. 


Day 3: Ham and Bean Soup
Buy the dried 15-bean soup mix. I have a jar of bacon grease and I add a few tablespoons of it to a stock pot. I cut up 3/4 of an onion and add it to the hot grease. After it is soft, I add cut up deli ham and 1 teaspoon of garlic and cook a minute. I then cook according to soup package directions. I use my chicken broth in place of water, and usually add 1 tbsp. chopped canned jalapenos and one can tomato sauce. Season to taste with salt.


Now for the estimated price breakdown!
Our grocery store sells cooked rotisserie chickens for between $4.99 and $7.99, but I usually pay $6.99, so that's my base price. I also am assuming you have basic staples like salt, oil, and dried seasonings on hand.

Day 1:
Taco Seasoning: 69 cents or make your own for far less (coming on another blog post)
Flour tortillas: $1.50
Cheese: 1/2 block—$1.25
Lettuce: approx. 50 cents
Few tbsp. salsa: approx 20 cents
If you add a can of beans: 85 cents
If you add a cup of rice: 50 cents

Day 2:
Pizza Crust: Canned is $2.25 or make your own for cheaper
Barbecue sauce: 75 cents
1/4 of a red onion: 30 cents
Cheese: 1/2 block: $1.25

Day 3:
Bean soup mix: $2.25
Deli ham, 1/2 lb: $2
Onion: 50 cents
8 oz tomato sauce: 33 cents
1/4 can jalapenos: 15 cents

Grand total for 3 meals:
$22.26
$7.55 a meal
$2.04 per serving for a family of 4! 
(This is using both rice and beans as a filler for your tacos. You can easily drive this to under $2 by choosing one or the other.)


No comments:

Post a Comment