Subscribe in a reader

Friday, November 8, 2013

Upcycled Turkey Hair Clip

I am practicing hair designs, since I adore many of the Etsy hair clips and bows, but just can't spend the money right now, during holiday season. This design has many flaws, but thankfully, my sister is there to accept my less-than-perfect practice attempts (if I feel it's too big for my baby girl, which this one is).


To make this hair clip, I first drew an "8" shape on yellow felt with adhesive backing around the clip I would use.

Next, I found an old brown camisole that was set for the trash, and cut a square out of it. I pinned my felt shape to it. Now, if I had had brown felt, I would not have needed the brown tank, but this is upcycling, and I wasn't going out to buy the felt.

I cut around the shape, then unpinned it and trimmed up my brown material.

Next, I took the back off of the felt, and stuck my brown fabric to the sticky side.

My least-favorite part was the face. I used 3 strands of yellow embroidery floss and stitched eyes on my turkey. I basically just stitched 3 stitches very close to each other, then one across the 3. I'm not good with this yet, but I tried. Next, I was too intimidated to stitch the nose and wattle, so I cut them out of felt and hot glued them on. This was not easy, as they were so small, but I made it through it. You can see I didn't get a clean line on the glue of the wattle, but this is an extreme close-up. It isn't noticeable when being worn.

Now, I found some scrap ribbon and made a loop for one side, cut it and glued it, then did the same for the opposite side.

I did this all around the turkey, but went a bit too glue-happy and didn't get the cleanest line on a loop. Live and learn.

Next, I took some solid ribbon and added another tier. 

I now had the back to figure out. 

I cut out some yellow felt and hot glued it to the back.

Since the design is not perfectly straight,(I'm learning) I decided to glue a loop so that the clip can be adjusted as needed. I just ran a line of glue on top and bottom, leaving the middle open.

Here it is in action:

And, I found some scrapbook things and decided to add one more detail for my niece.

So, there is my first attempt at a design like this. It's definitely flawed, but it was completely upcycled and wasn't difficult to make (other than my 2 year-old causing it to take twice as long as necessary.) 

Happy crafting and happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment: