Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Upcycling a Too-Small Sweater into an Infinity Scarf

Most of us have it: that beautiful sweater that we washed incorrectly and is now too small, or the one that's simply too small, but we're holding on to it, remembering the days we used to fit into it. (Nostalgic sigh.)


I'm in the latter camp, because after three kids, a size small sweater just won't cut it. However, I love the softness and the color of this beauty. Just look at it!

I knew it would make a gorgeous scarf, so I went ahead and gave it a shot, since it involved sewing one line.  Here's how I did it:

It was tough, but I gathered my courage and made a long cut across, under the arms.

Next, I turned it inside-out and folded the raw edge under and pinned it.

I sewed across with a zig-zag stitch on my machine. You could absolutely hand-stitch this. I didn't get a straight edge on it when it was done; it ruffled on me, which I ended up liking, but I assume it's because there is some rule to sewing on knits—a different needle, stabilizer, or some other trick I am clueless about. If you know, enlighten me! Here it is, finished:

Now, you can fold it inward, and it's a beautiful scarf!

Wear it with the original hem showing like this:

Or with the (accidental) ruffled edge showing:

I think they are both cute, and now my too-small sweater has new life. If you try this, or have tried this, please post a pic or email me one (momupcycles@gmail.com). I'd like to see your creations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment