Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thrifty Recipe: "Secret Ingredient" Scrambled Eggs

When my best friend told me I should do a post with my scrambled egg recipe, I thought there wouldn't be much to it, but when I thought about it, there really is a technique I use for making scrambled eggs. Also, I add an ingredient that I have discovered not many people know about, and it makes the eggs. It's very thrifty to have breakfast for dinner, and these eggs are often on the menu for us. This carton was on sale for $1, so if I had added some pancakes with it, we could have had dinner for about 50 cents a person. That's my kind of budget!


You need:
Eggs (I used 10 for my family)
Milk
Salt
Pepper
The secret ingredient........Dill
Bacon grease (Optional, but kind of not)


Crack your eggs in a bowl.

Some people swear you should never add milk to eggs and they may be right, but I always have, so this is just my recipe.  If you are an egg purist, look away! Add 1 teaspoon of milk per egg (I really do not measure, but when I did my tiny splashes, this was what I estimated, haha!)

Add one dash (measuring is for scaredy-cats!) of the secret ingredient--dill--per egg. These babies got 10 dashes of dill.

Next, add pepper to your liking. I usually put in about half as much pepper as I did dill.

Note, I don't add the salt yet. I have done it in the beginning and my eggs seemed to be flatter, so I wait on that.

Stir them up.

Next, could be considered the second secret ingredient—bacon grease. I know a lot of people balk at this, but it makes such a difference in flavor. I reserve my bacon grease (once warm and not hot) in a glass container (I think this used to be a coffee container) and store it in the refrigerator.

Get your pan to about medium heat and then add enough grease to coat your pan. See those bacon pieces in that glob? Yum! 

Now, whip those eggs up again. This is important. You want to get air back in them so the eggs are fluffy. Pour in the hot pan. (Sorry for the blur.)

Stir every so often, but cook relatively slowly.

Once your eggs are nearly set, add salt to your liking. Remember, the bacon grease has saltiness to it so go easy.

Cook to your preference (my guys like a very dry egg) and serve! There you go, my technique for delicious scrambled eggs, and very basic thrifty cooking.  If you already knew about the secret ingredient, let me know! Maybe it's not as "secret" as I think. :) 



1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting, can you taste the dill?

    Thanks for the salt and stirring right before pouring the eggs in the pan tips!

    ReplyDelete