Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, January 30, 2014

5 No-Sew Inexpensive, Easy DIY Gifts

Since a big part of my blog concerns ways to save money, I thought that tackling one of the biggest potential budget-hits—gifts—would be helpful. If you're like us, you have a lot of birthdays that fall in the same few months, and that gets expensive. 


To combat this, I give myself a gift budget and I stick to it. I've also found that a great way to cut costs on gifts is to purchase a $10 ITunes or Starbucks gift card and make a gift. Package them together in pretty paper, and you have a useful and thoughtful (doesn't get more personal than handmade) gift that will not break the bank. If funds are super-tight, many of these would be just fine as stand-alone gifts, too.  This list if for the girls in your life, but I will do a post for boys soon, as well.

I have collected 5 DIY gift tutorials that I have had pinned on Pinterest for a while and that are super-easy.  I know some of my readers don't use Pinterest, or are not looking to spend a long time searching through DIY ideas (plus, how many times do you pin something, go click on it, and there is no link?), so I compiled this list in one post, and all links work.  Anyone can do these (I purposefully made this list no-sew), so give them a try! (All photos are from the blogs that I linked to each item.)

1) Duct-Tape Hair Clips
You need very few materials to make these, and most are things you likely have on-hand.  Duct-tape comes in so many awesome designs now; I've even seen sports teams! I've seen it at craft stores and in limited supply at popular chain stores. Any girl would be thrilled to get these! Follow the tutorial here. 

2) T-Shirt Scarf

There are a ton of tutorials on these on the internet, but this one is really easy to follow.  An old t-shirt is the star of this gift.  Go here for the tutorial. 

3) Sugar Cookie Body Scrub

Kids and adults love bath products and this one looks simple and would make enough for lots of gifts. Go here to learn how to make this one. 

4) Fabric Rosette Necklace

How beautiful is this one? And yes, anyone can do this! Use any scrap fabric or old shirts you have for fabric. You can get an inexpensive chain in the jewelry section of any craft store or use an old one you have. For the super-simple tutorial, go here. 

5) Yarn-Wrapped Initial Wall Decor

This one is probably my favorite, so I saved it for last. You need so little for this one, and Jo-Ann's sells these paper-mâché letters for $1.99 each! Anyone would love one of these for their home or room. See how to make them here. 
And don't forget to dress it up with a rolled flower. I love this tutorial for those.

Do you have any go-to handmade gifts or budget-friendly ideas for birthday gifts? Share away, if so. I just love handmade gifts; and I've found that the prettier the packaging, the more special the gift feels. I'll do a post later on a few pretty and inexpensive ways to package gifts. I hope these ideas inspire you guys!






No comments:

Post a Comment