Subscribe in a reader

Friday, January 10, 2014

Felt Disney Princess Clip Tutorial

For Christmas, I made my niece a hair (or shoe or purse or anything) clip set. It had 2 of the Disney princesses and I had a fun time making them.


Just a warning: this project isn't for everyone—it requires a bit of time and cutting, gluing, and handling tiny pieces of felt, but if you have a little girl who loves Disney princesses and you don't want to spend a lot of money, this could be a fun craft for you.

All you need is felt, a hot glue gun, needle and thread (just to stitch the face I and any details), and a hair clip.

My felt palette (Disney aficionados know which princess this will be!):

First, I laid out the basic shapes I thought I needed. I did forget a long neck piece (just a long rectangle). This part is like putting together a puzzle. I played with the shapes and trimmed as I thought I needed. 

Next, I stitched my face. I drew it on with pen and stitched over the pen. I used brown thread for the eyes and red for her mouth. You can see I also glued the bangs on first to make sure I knew where to put the features.

I glued the face to the brown hair piece, then the yellow headband, then the bun to the hair as well. Next, I cut out that long rectangle to make the neck. This piece will connect the body to the head, so should be long.

I then glued my bodice to the neck.

Here's the back, so you can see how far down it's glued.

Now I attached the arms. And long hair pieces.

The back:

Next came the skirt.

I thought it was too plain, so I added a yellow stitch of "gathering". 

Next, I wanted Belle to have her rose, so I cut out a tiny scalloped red piece and a green stem.

I rolled the red piece in a circle and glued it to her hand with the stem.


Last, I lined the back in green felt.

I then lined an alligator clip in felt.

Then, I glued it to the back. I ran a long line of thick glue here.

And she is finally finished!

Here she is with the first princess I ever made, Merida from Brave, ready for gift-giving. I included a hair band with a loop of felt to place the princesses in if she wants to wear them as a headband. I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial!



No comments:

Post a Comment