Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Making Boot Socks Out of an Old Sweater

Last week, I upcycled a sweater that was too tight into a soft infinity scarf. It was a no-brainer that I could upcycle the sleeves, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a hat or boot socks for me, or even leggings for my daughter. I finally decided to go with the boot socks.


I didn't use any type of tutorial or pattern, just winged it, but they turned out well, so I'll outline my steps.

Here is the leftover sweater:

Measure your length by just pulling those babies on. Cut at the point you like.

Turn inside out with seam running toward the back and round off the toe area if you are closing them like I did and pin them. You can also keep the bottom open so that you can have more adjustability, but honestly, I was cold, so I wanted the full deal.

Sew across, with about 5/8" seam allowance. If keeping them open, fold over the fabric about 1/2" and sew all around.

Trim your excess fabric.

Turn right-side out.

Now, definitely wear matching boots if you can, but to get my black boots, it would have required me rifling through the closet in the room of the sleeping baby and not posting this blog today. So, you'll have to imagine the coordinated cuteness. The only boots downstairs were these.

And they are super cozy on their own!

There you go: a quick upcycle from an outgrown sweater! No money spent and I've got a new infinity scarf and boot socks. I still have a strip of sweater fabric left, too. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment