Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Easy, No-Cost Candy Cane Rag Wreath

I really liked how my Halloween rag wreath came out and wanted to do something similar for Christmas, although I did eye a white curtain and consider doing one like my fall shabby chic wreath. However, I already have a cute door decoration that I love, so knew that I wanted to work around it. I thought that a candy cane would be the perfect shape.


I took a simple wire hanger and shaped it into a candy cane. I didn't need any pliers for this, but if your hanger is more rigid you may need some. 

Silly me forgot to take a picture of the ends of the wreath, but to make it safe, I made a small loop at each end. The strips are covering it, but if I lift them, you can kind of see what I did:

I then cut out my strips. A LOT of strips. I had an old red t-shirt and an old white t-shirt in my scrap pile and used those. I cut my strips about an inch side and 2 inches long but experiment with what you like. It's better to go too long because it is simple to trim it down later. 

I started off tying them like this:
But I did not like the color saturation, so I decided to tie them with 6 of each color, like this:

Much better! After tying and tying and tying, you have this:

At this point, you can tie a ribbon at the curve and hang it, or dress it up by hot-gluing small ornaments or snowflakes on it, but I still love my door sled decoration, so I just tucked this cute wreath around it. I love it! If you're still looking for a door decoration, consider this project. This is upcycling at its finest--no-cost and very easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment