Subscribe in a reader

Friday, December 6, 2013

No-Sew Warm Baby Headband From Fleece Scraps

This morning, I was getting my baby girl dressed and reached for a headband, but with the temperatures in the forties today, I wondered if there were something warmer I could make for her (besides a bulky hat).


My mother-in-law is the queen of all things crafty and had given me a bag of fleece scraps she no longer needed, so I fished out a long scrap of fleece.

I wrapped it around my baby's head and pinched it closed. I thought it made a cute bow shape, so I cut a small piece of black fleece and tied it around the closure point, pictured below.

Next, I wrapped each end of the black fleece around the bow shape.

At this point you can either hot glue or stitch the back of the black fleece you wrapped to the band. 

Now, I'm sure for many moms, this bow-size is acceptable for a baby girl's head, but I'm not much for big bows.  I trimmed it way down until it was more my style. The fold of the bow and the way the pattern blends makes the bow look uneven, but it is cut evenly.

I also sewed a couple of stitches through the triangles of the bow because I preferred the bow to sit closer to the band, but you could hot glue it or just leave it alone. 

Here it is worn off-center:

And centered (she was done with modeling!)

I can't decide which I prefer, although I think I lean toward the off-center look, but this is much warmer than her skinny headbands (covers nearly her whole ear), cost nothing to make, uses up old scraps, which is what upcycling is all about, and was easy. I am going to make myself one next, and see how I like it. Hope everyone has a great weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment