Subscribe in a reader

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Simple and Cheap Christmas Gift: Felt Food

Most of us look for ways to save during the holidays. If you have a little one who loves to pretend cook, this gift idea is perfect. A sheet of acrylic felt is 29 cents, and you can get multiple pretend food out of it, or use up old fleece scraps. I sewed all of my "food" but I think you could do this with a hot glue gun, too.


My 2 year-old loves his play kitchen. He often brings me his plastic pretend food that he has carefully prepared. I knew he'd love some felt play food in his stocking.

I started by making 2 felt strawberries. Green and red felt and white thread were used. I followed this pattern although I didn't print anything out. I just free-hand cut the pieces. Also, I practiced french knots on these pieces and had fun doing it, but if you don't want to do that, a simple straight stitch would work, or leave it off completely. I didn't have any batting to stuff these with, so I used fleece scraps.



I had no intention of doing the next pretend food, but I'm glad I did. It came out so cute! We had McDonald's as a treat and I knew the tiny Happy Meal fry box would be great to use. I didn't use any tutorial for this one. I sifted through a bag of fleece scraps my mother-in-law gave me and found some tan fleece. I cut these into strips, layered 2 at a time, and sewed them.



Then, I piled them all in the empty fry box. 




Last, was a bacon and egg set. Again, I had no tutorial for these. I just saw pictures of them on Amazon.com and went from there. I cut out 2 identical white shapes and a circle for the egg. I glued the white pieces together, put some small fleece scraps in the yellow circle for stuffing, and sewed it to my white base. For the bacon, I cut out 2 brown pieces and used the fleece scraps from my "fries" for the accents. I sewed my accent pieces on and used a blanket stitch to connect the brown pieces, using fleece scraps to lightly stuff it.


I am addicted, so will probably make some more things, but I think this is an adorable little set for his pretend play. If I had to estimate, I'd say this cost me $1.50 for all 5 pieces of pretend food. This is an easy way to give a great but inexpensive gift to any little pretend chefs you may know!



Oh, and I couldn't resist; I had to know how he'd like them:

Toddler approved!



No comments:

Post a Comment