Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Easy Christmas Card Holder Decoration

I secretly (not so secretly now) LOVE getting Christmas cards! They are always so cheerful and uplifting and I am sad that they aren't sent as much these days. However, I finally received one today and wanted to make a holder for them. (Well, my husband brought one he designed for his work home, so I'll count that one, too. I'll take what I can get these days!)


I have this old decoration that my son likes a lot, but I've never been too thrilled with it. I decided it would make a good base for my holder.

You could use any wall decoration you have—wood, plastic, cloth like this one, or easily make your own by cutting a cardboard strip like I did in my refrigerator magnet project, and covering it with pretty paper, painting it or making a collage with old Christmas cards atop it. Even a stocking or Santa hat could work.

I used these supplies for this project, all stuff I had on hand. The colored clothes pins are from the dollar store and I wasn't thrilled with them for hanging clothes since they are too flimsy, but they work great for this project. If I hadn't had them, regular ones would have done the trick. If your ribbon is wide enough, large safety pins would work too. A base, ribbon, pins and a way to attach them is all you need. I used a needle and thread but hot glue would be great, too.

Cut 2 strands of ribbon. I just guessed, here. I am not expecting more than 10 cards, so hopefully this will work out for me. If I need more holder space, I can clip to the Santa decoration itself (shown below), or even hot glue more ribbon on to the existing ribbon for a longer strand.

Attach your ribbon to each side of your base on the back. I had a threaded needle already on hand, but a hot glue gun would have been just fine. 


They will hang like this:

And on the wall:
For vertical cards, you can crowd them in under the horizontal ones or just use longer or wider ribbon tails. I like them attached to the base itself (used an old card as reference):

There you go: a no-cost, easy card holder. I certainly like this wall decoration much better than the original! 

No comments:

Post a Comment