Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

World Embroidery Hoop Art

Like my hoop art? Purchase it here.


This isn't a tutorial, just a post to show you guys my continuing love of hand-embroidery and to show off my latest project.

I DID use some upcycling principles, though. The cloth I embroidered on is an old, off-white curtain. The embroidery hoop was $1.69 and I used scrap felt for the earth.

I secured my cloth in the hoop and wrote, in über-fancy green crayon, "The world is yours". It's basically a rip-off from Scarface, but I did change one word, so hopefully I won't get sued, haha! 

I wanted a picture of the earth on it, so I cut out shapes from scrap felt and hot-glued the continents on the blue circle. 

I stitched over my handwriting, generally using a satin-stitch, and all 6 strands of floss, and decided on a 3-strand running stitch in off-white floss to secure the earth.

This type of free-hand embroidery (no idea if that's an official term) is really fun for me. No stencils or measurements or rules required. I also like that it's just my handwriting, which is more personal.

This wall decoration was meant for the babies' play room, but my 14-year-old saw it and requested it for his room. "That's really cool," were his words, which is his highest compliment. Success!






No comments:

Post a Comment