Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Valentine's Day Refashion - Boy's (or Girl's) Shirt!

It's almost Valentine's Day, friends, and I realized that I didn't have any Valentine's Day attire for my littles! What I do have though, are t-shirts and fabric, and a nifty new sewing machine, so I got to work on a no-cost "refashion"!  This one is meant for my son, but it is completely unisex. Of course, I think anything is, but that's personal preference.  


I'm no stranger to upcycling old clothes to make them holiday shirts.  Remember my no-cost Thanksgiving shirt for my son? Or, the super cute onesie I made for my daughter?  These were made using only items I had around the house, and they turned out great.  Look at these cuties:

On to the refashion!

First, I hunted down a semi-blank shirt.


Next, I decided what my appliqué would be made from.  I had matching wool felt, (found in some craft stores and on Etsy) but you can use acrylic felt, jersey fabric (won't fray), or old fleece.  I made a cute shirt that is similar to this one here, using fleece.

Cut out a rectangle, size depends on how big you want your hearts to be.


Fold the strip in half.

Cut along the folded edge into a half-heart shape.

Trim up, if you need to and voila! Cut out as many as you want for your shirt.  I ended up with five.


I use the back tag or marking to line up my appliqué.

And it always helps if you have a toddler, prepared to help you with placement.

After we had it figured out, I pinned the hearts down.

I got excited that I could use my red thread (red is my favorite)!

I simply sewed one line down the center because I have 2 children under 3 years old, a blog to maintain, a new Etsy shop to stock, and I just didn't have the time to go all the way around each heart.  I actually really like them this way, though.  I didn't cut strings after every heart; I just raised my presser foot and moved the fabric along.  It went super fast. (Don't look too closely at my stitching; I am learning.)

And with the strings all cut:

Ta-Da!  My son is napping, so no picture of it on yet, but I love how this came out!

A note about felt appliqué on clothes: I have done a few of these, and it washes great.  I do always turn the shirts inside-out and wash as normal, and line-dry or lay flat on the dryer to dry.  It may get a tad fuzzy after a lot of washes, but a small trim with scissors will have it looking great again.

I hope this inspires you guys to re-make some clothes you have around the house.  Remember, this isn't just an idea for babies!  You can do this for older kids or even yourself.  I still love my sweater refashion I did a couple of months ago. You can also hand-sew these appliqués on, or try fabric glue!

I have something in mind for baby girl and hope to have it on the blog tomorrow!










No comments:

Post a Comment