Subscribe in a reader

Monday, February 10, 2014

5 Meatless Monday Recipe Ideas

While I don't always do it on Mondays, I do try to incorporate at least one day of a meatless (chicken, beef, and pork) dinner into the week. Not only is it good for you, it's usually a great way to cut your grocery bill. My guys are big-time carnivores, though, so I had to think of meals that they would eat without really noticing the lack of meat. These 5 ideas are winners in my house! (Sorry for the lack of pictures for the first 2 ideas; I need to be better about taking pictures of my food!)


1.) Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Soup

This is a classic for a reason—almost everyone loves it. The key to delicious grilled cheese is real butter. Add some softened butter to the bread, grill on one side, turn and add cheese of your choice,  put bread together and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is brown. I generally use Campbell's tomato soup, but I have made my own before, with this recipe and it was delicious! 

2.) Shrimp Scampi
This is eaten so quickly at my house! The garlic and lemon flavors are amazing. I always serve it over angel hair pasta. I generally use this recipe, and often omit the wine/vermouth. You could put chicken broth in place of it if you like, or just leave it out.

3.) Bean and Cheese Burritos
These are tasty and an excellent source of protein. I blogged about how to prepare these here, and it is a very cheap meal that everyone loves.


4.) Quick Cheese French Bread Pizza
In our grocery stores, we have a cart where they sell discounted bread and bakery goods. There is nothing wrong with these items; they just taste better if eaten that day or if you freeze them that day. I always pick up a couple of French bread loaves and make quick, inexpensive pizzas out of them. Slice the loaf down the center, length-wise, and bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Take out and drizzle olive oil over the top, top with marinara and shredded cheese of your choice. I always add finely chopped spinach before the cheese, and usually top with Parmesan cheese. This is a satisfying and beloved meal in out home. Bonus: kids LOVE to help make these!


5.) Broccoli Cheese Soup over Baked Potatoes
I love this recipe, but I use frozen broccoli, usually, and have omitted the half and half on many occasions and it's still been great. Bake your potatoes in the oven, split open, and ladle this delicious soup in. It's so good!


By incorporating at least one meal into your week that doesn't use meat, you're omitting one of the biggest budget-busters from your grocery list.  Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE when you post these!! I am so bored with my go to recipes...it's good to see what other people's go to recipes are :)

    ReplyDelete