Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

4 More Meatless Monday Ideas

I've got more ideas for Meatless (no red meat or poultry) Mondays! If you tried any from this post, you know how tasty days without meat can be, and the following recipes don't disappoint.


1) Blackened Tilapia (or any fish)
My family eats this up like candy—no exaggeration. My 2 year-old eats an entire large filet, and my 14 year-old does a little dance (don't tell him I revealed that) when he sees that this is for dinner. It's very simple! In a dish, pour flour and Cajun seasoning. I eyeball this, but it's usually 2/3 flour to 1/3 seasoning. Take your fish and dredge in the flour mixture (no liquids before). In a hot pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and just enough oil to  cook your fish (we are not covering the fish in oil or deep frying, the oil is just there to put a nice, light, golden crust on each side.) Repeat for all fillets. I use a cast iron skillet and do 2 at a time. This is great, served with couscous or rice and any veggie.



2) Breakfast for Dinner
We love breakfast for dinner. In fact, I think I like breakfast more when it's served at dinner-time. For meatless Mondays, we usually do a cheese omelet and pancakes or waffles, but scrambled eggs, an egg and cheese sandwich, French toast, or anything without meat would work! 

3) Shrimp or Veggie Fried Rice
Another winner in my house! Day-old white rice is the key to restaurant-quality fried rice, but I've made fresh many times (I have a hard time remembering to make it the night before). Click here for my go-to recipe.



4) Orzo Pasta with Roasted Veggies
This one is so good! If your family isn't a fan of feta, sub any cubed cheese, and any veggies work; you aren't limited to what is in this recipe. This is great with roasted broccoli or carrots. I have never added pine nuts, but if you have them, go ahead! I have found that Ina Garten never steers me wrong. Click here for her recipe.

There you have it; 4 recipes for meatless Mondays that won't even make you miss the meat! This is a great way to save on your grocery budget, too. Bonus!


No comments:

Post a Comment