Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Welcome!

Please forgive the look of the blog right now; I am working on a much better design.

The first entry in any journal is usually the most daunting, but I'll break the ice with a short bio, then explain what I envision this space to be.


I'm 33, a stay-at-home mom to 2 sons (14 and 2) and a new little girl (4 months). My husband and I were married on a gorgeous Jamaica beach nearly 6 years ago. I have a wonderful family! I love to read, research, watch sports, cook, craft, travel, and save money.

When we were pregnant with our baby girl, we did not find out her gender. Having 2 boys, I assumed she was also a boy and was quite unprepared, as far as accessories went. I saw so many beautiful headbands and clothes on Etsy (there are some very talented people out there) and started purchasing some things for my new baby girl.

Upon receiving them, I started to wonder if I could create something similar, then took it a step further and wondered if I had anything around the house that I could use. The idea of upcycling was planted in my head by my best friend, Heather, who had made me a maternity skirt out of an old dress while I was pregnant. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not one to spend money on things I consider frivolous, so I was looking for a way to save money on baby accessories.

After reading and watching some online tutorials, I made my first upcycled item: baby barefoot sandals, out of an old T-shirt of my son's!

(Please forgive the poor quality; I hadn't even considered I'd be blogging these.)

There are lots of flaws, but I was so proud of myself. That was it; I was bit by the crafting bug. I have completed quite a few projects since, which I will blog about over the coming weeks. I even just completed my most ambitious project to date--a multi-piece applique!

I am also quite adept at upcycling recipes--taking one ingredient and creating something new out of it. I will use this blog to show tricks I use to stretch my meals and save money for our household. Also, I will share my best money-saving recipes in general.

Here's to many crafting, upcycling, and cooking adventures, shared with all of you!





No comments:

Post a Comment