Subscribe in a reader

Monday, April 7, 2014

Getting Longer Use Out of Baby Clothes

When my youngest son was around 6 months old, he started outgrowing all of his onesies in length. I cloth diaper, so I preferred t-shirts, anyway, and asked my crafty mother-in-law to convert my onesies into t-shirts, by cutting the bottoms and hemming them. This worked great and I got many more months of use out of them.


My daughter received the most adorable rompers at her "meet the baby shower" (we did not find out gender, so it was amazing how our families helped us out so much in outfitting our baby girl), but my favorite ones were in the 3-6 month range and she outgrew those months ago. At 20 pounds, this baby needs 12 month rompers. However, I noticed that the rompers had elastic at the top, which is very generous and I wondered....

Yep, I began cutting away (I'm a pretty fearless cutter):

I hemmed the bottoms (a simple straight stitch on my machine):

And proof that these are teeny tiny:

But that elastic has amazing stretch and check this little Miss out:


A closer look at my hems (I'm not winning any awards here, but it's literally one line of sewing):

They fit awesome and I anticipate getting another 6 months of use out of these now. Money saved!



No comments:

Post a Comment